Wekinator general questions

Welcome Forums Help Wekinator general questions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  João Pais 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

João Pais
    Participant

Hello forum, I’m new here. I’m trying to use Wekinator (Kadenze Version) with Pd and leapmotion in windows, and had a few questions, which I’ll try to split into different threads to make it easier to read.

First off, I would post some general questions:

Is Wekinator finished, or is more development to be done? Some basic software features make its use a bit slower, such as:
    – when starting wekinator, one has to go through the windows and “create new project” before being able to load one’s own project. After the project is loaded, the other project that was created has to be closed.
    –That might be better when using the non-kadenze version, but it seems that the Kadenze version is the newest one (the version isn’t mentioned in the program, I had to go around the website to deduce the current state)
    – a “recent projects” tab would make it much faster to open projects (the open folder is always reset)
    – the shortcuts don’t work in windows, all handling must be done with the mouse

Is there a way to open Wekinator using a script e.g. with a project as argument, so that with only one click a project environment is ready to go for performance?

(There were some formatting details in the OSC communication that caused floats being converted to integers, but I didn’t keep a documentation of that. I could try to get those details from my patches)

Best,

Joao

Rebecca
    Keymaster

Hi Joao,

Thanks for posting. Briefly, there’s just one main developer of Wekinator (me) and I occasionally get funds to support other development, but I don’t currently have any funding to add more features. So it’s just a matter of being able to hack on it a few times a year at the moment, and during these times I prioritise changes that most seriously impact a lot of students (Kadenze or in-person students) or people using the software quite seriously in professional work. I’m aware of the issues you’ve mentioned but there are frankly higher-priority things in the queue, so I can’t promise I will be able to implement them. Please feel free to add any of these as issues on the project GitHub page so they are noted (and other users can voice their support for them as well). The reality is that these are mainly the by-products of having one main developer, and trying to efficiently support a cross-platform software. I wish these quirks weren’t there, but they are. If anyone would like to fix them, please feel free to fork on github and we can have a chat about whether/how to merge back in!

Best
    Rebecca

Rebecca
    Keymaster

Hi Joao,

Thanks for posting. Briefly, there’s just one main developer of Wekinator (me) and I occasionally get funds to support other development, but I don’t currently have any funding to add more features. So it’s just a matter of being able to hack on it a few times a year at the moment, and during these times I prioritise changes that most seriously impact a lot of students (Kadenze or in-person students) or people using the software quite seriously in professional work. I’m aware of the issues you’ve mentioned but there are frankly higher-priority things in the queue, so I can’t promise I will be able to implement them. Please feel free to add any of these as issues on the project GitHub page so they are noted (and other users can voice their support for them as well). The reality is that these are mainly the by-products of having one main developer, and trying to efficiently support a cross-platform software. I wish these quirks weren’t there, but they are. If anyone would like to fix them, please feel free to fork on github and we can have a chat about whether/how to merge back in!

Best
    Rebecca

João Pais
    Participant

Hi Rebecca,

nice. Unfortunately I can only program in Pd, so I can’t offer any concrete help besides simple user experience. But I’ll report the issues, at least they’ll be documented. Hopefully it will be possible to continue the wekinator’s development.

Best,

Joao

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •